RUSU Realfoods Cafe Cook - Bundoora
RMIT University Student Union
The RUSU Realfoods Cafe is on the hunt for a cook to join the team on a part-time basis
The RUSU Realfoods Café Cook Bundoora position will be engaged a minimum 3 days per week based on rostered hours. During peak catering periods additional hours/ working days may be offered. The Realfoods Cook is responsible for the preparation of high quality vegetarian and vegan food for the Realfoods Café. This includes; the meals of the day (curries, stir-fry, dahl etc.), soups, salads, wraps, rolls and condiments.
- Preparation of high quality vegetarian and vegan cuisine for the Realfoods Café. This includes; the meals of the day (curries, stir-fry, dahl etc), soups, salads, wraps, rolls and condiments as well as preparation of promotional items.
- Providing information, advice and suggestions to the Realfoods Café Management Team to enable them to oversee and provide direction on the Café menu and operations.
- Receiving and managing stock in line with established procedures.
- Ensuring that food handling practices comply with industry standards and legislative requirements for food handling and OH&S, including ensuring that food preparation, storage and washing areas are clean, safe and well maintained.
- Working alongside, assisting and supporting student volunteers, particularly the kitchen-hand volunteers.
- Being aware of and complying with RUSU Volunteer Policies and Procedures.
- In the absence of the part time Café staff, responsibility for basic everyday operational tasks (including front of house operations) such as; opening of business, cash transactions, customer service, cleaning, and receiving Café stock.
- Contributing collaboratively towards the achievement of the aims and objectives of the Student Union and undertaking other relevant duties as required.
Key selection criteria:
- Previous experience as a chef or cook preparing vegetarian and vegan cuisine.
- Knowledge of and commitment to food safety and hygiene principles and practice including holding a Food Safety Supervisor Certificate or equivalent.
- Demonstrated sound understanding of diverse dietary specialisations (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free) and ability to prepare food and drinks to meet these requirements.
- Experience working with volunteers and a genuine desire to involve and assist kitchen volunteers in the preparation of food and drinks for the café.
- Prior experience with menu planning and pricing.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to organic, vegetarian and fairtrade principles and practices.
- Well-developed communication and organisational skills.
- Enthusiasm for working with and for students in the tertiary environment and an understanding of and commitment to the principle of student control over student affairs.
Apply through Scout today!